AMS Announces Plans for 150 Celebrations
Today, August 31, we mark Dr. Maria Montessori's 149th birthday, and kick off a yearlong celebration leading up to next year's 150th birthday anniversary!
This feminist, icon, and pioneer shattered gender barriers, blazed a trail for women in medicine, championed peace and social justice, and became one of the great thinkers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Maria also revolutionized the field of education, by empowering children to build a better world. It is a revolution still happening today in the thousands of schools worldwide that bear her name and are authentic practitioners of her Method—and AMS is proud to lead that charge.
Over the next year, we'll honor the life and legacy of the woman who started it all!
Here's just some of what we have planned for the next year:
- The summer 2020 issue of Montessori Life will be entirely dedicated to the 150 years of Maria Montessori’s life and legacy.
- Look for content on our social media channels from historic Montessori sites, including her birthplace of Chiaravalle, Italy.
- All attendees of The Montessori Event 2020 will be invited to a birthday bash honoring Maria.
- We’ll explore the meaning of Dr. Montessori’s work in free Quotable Conversation online events. Registration opening soon.
- We are working in conjunction with local groups and governments in Italy to memorialize Dr. Montessori to ensure that future generations know about her work. Stay tuned for ways you can support this initiative.
- Use #WeHeartMontessori all year long to show us how you are celebrating and honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Montessori.
We invite you to celebrate with us. Keep an eye on your inbox and visit amshq.org/150 throughout the year for details on the programs above, and to find out about even more activities and events to commemorate Maria Montessori’s 150th birthday.